Tuesday, 7 April 2009

ACCUSTOMED AS I AM.....

I've been writing a speech. To tell you the truth, it feels like I've been writing a speech for a long, long time. After four months campaigning in Keighley and Calder Valley, I am suffering from serious speech fatigue so I shall give it a good 24 hours and then rely on my old standby of last-minute panic to spur the juices of creativity.
The other night I finished reading the Chris Mullin diaries and by the end I was amazed at the number of times he tried to wing it. There are some occasions when you can and some occasions when you can't. PPC hustings is one of them.
Various remedies have been suggested to quell the inevitable stomach-churning nerves which inflict one on these occasions. They range from homeopathic remedies to a large G and T.
However I think I will rely on that good old standby of making sure I do my homework beforehand. And, tomorrow, I'll go back to drafting the speech..,...

1 comment:

John Buckingham said...

Best of luck, Susan. Everyone I know wants a broader range of opinion in the PLP, and I'm sure you'd be a great addition. Hope all goes well.