To any member of my generation, there are iconic songs which recall one's earlier self in a youthful and perhaps more hopeful incarnation. You've Got A Friend, by Carole King, is a biggie. I've dragged it out at key moments in my life so it was good to see her looking fab and performing the lovelorn anthem on the Jools Holland programe just now. Especially coupled with The Specials, who emerged a bit later in the Thatcherite years which - let's hope - are never coming back. Trouble is it doesn't half make you feel a little raddled round the edges. But quite a good filllip for the next 48 hours......thanks to my friends in Calder Branch BTW for positvie suggestions this evening re my Big Speech on Thursday.
Tuesday, 7 April 2009
YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND......
Posted by
susan press
at
22:50
Labels: 1970's anthems
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Good luck girl!
Personally I prefer Joe Cocker's version of "With a Little Help from my Friends" (check it out on You Tube). As for the Thatcherite days "never coming back", I don't think they ever went away did they?Break a leg in Calder Valley. My advice, passion and sincerity should be the key ingredients to your speech tomorrow. Good luck.
Best wishes Susan.
I'm kinda partial to the Beatles' song "We can work it out".
Post a Comment