I was asked recently who my political heroes were and one person I most definitely should have mentioned is trade union leader Jack Jones. To the end of his life, Jack embodied the finest virtues of the labour movement - eschewing the House Of Lords and gravy trains for life in a modest council flat in London and tireless campaigning for those who were vulnerable. After he "retired" Jack was one of the leading lights of the National Pensioners' Convention. He also attended Campaign Group rallies every year at Labour Party Conference and never lost his fighting spirit. In Manchester three years ago, I was proud to say hello and shake his hand - Though clearly frail, he was able to stand up and be counted as one of the heroes of the Labour Left. It's a shame there are not more like him today. An exemplary human being .
Thursday, 23 April 2009
PROUD TO HAVE MET HIM.....
Posted by
susan press
at
14:57
Labels: jack jones, labour heroes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
He was labour but not this Labour with it's sell off and Tory antics.
I met him a few times when I was active with the Unions in my area.
But we do have lots of people like him around the real problem of course we do not have a Labour party anymore.
This bunch of cowboys cannot be called a socialist Labour party can it.
Yes, Jack and Hughie Scanlon were two of a kind. Compared to the clerical assistants who pass for General Secretaries today they were giants.
a truely great man
You can't imagine Jack Jones agreeing to payroll a 'Labour' government promoting PFI and draconian welfare 'reform', can you?
Post a Comment