Today I gave in and bought the Sunday Times purely on the basis it had a DVD of Withnail and I. This is now a cult classic and I adore every anarchic minute of its evocation of the 1960's but the film actually came out in 1987 at the height of Thatcherism. I remember a colleague going to interview director and writer Bruce Robinson at Manchester's Cornerhouse, It came...... and went. It's only in the years since it has acquired iconic status. I've never done the "drinking game" which I understand is popular with male students whereby you neck back every substance mentioned in the film as it progresses......however I did go to Penrith recently. And last I heard the tumbledown cottage owned by "Uncle Monty" was up for sale.
Sunday, 14 June 2009
BRING ME THE FINEST WINES KNOWN TO HUMANITY.......
One other random point I wanted to make this sunny Sunday is that since I dropped the anonymous messages I've noticed all the people who post here are male. Is that because women don't read political blogs? Or is it because they are less opinionated? If there are any leftie women bloggers out there who I've not linked to already ( ie the excellent Harpymarx and Stroppyblog) do get in touch. And now I'm off for a trip to Chesterfield......nothing to do with politics but even I have weekends off.
Posted by
susan press
at
11:35
Labels: blogging, cult classics
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Well, speaking personally, I have to tell you that the reason I come here so often is your rather neat ankles!
No, I haven't seen them but I just know they're there.
David Duff
Missed out on Penny Red: http://pennyred.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment