Thursday, 18 June 2009

HAZEL SHOULD GO - BUT SHE WON'T


I've just watched Channel 4 News with footage from Salford where Hazel Blears as I write is facing a no-confidence motion from the CLP. Here's my prediction. She will survive. She will survive, not because she should, but because the CLP delegates will be under tremendous pressure and because many are scared of appearing disloyal in an area where comradeship still really means something.
I have the fondest of memories of my years in Salford - and of the Party members many of whom are sadly no longer with us. Hazel took over the seat from the late Stan Orme who spoke at a memorial service some years ago for the splendid left-wing MP Frank Allaun. Both were a credit to their Party and, in Frank's case, a lifelong supporter of CND.
Quite frankly, both these stalwarts would have been disgusted at the way Hazel Blears cravenly hung onto Cabinet office in the face of serious alegations and then plotted to bring down the Prime Minister. And I know that many members of the CLP are. The argument I've just heard from the CLP Chair that it would be wrong to pass a no confidence motion is I'm sure well-meant but utterly misguided. It would send a powerful message to the electorate if the constituency did what it should do tonight. Sadly, I don't think that will happen. Salford deserves better. And so does the Labour Party. UPDATE: Unfortunately, I was right. Bad call, comrades.

13 comments:

Dave said...

'MPs will have to make that clear in some way?'
Hi Susan,
Just a comment on your reply to my earlier posting about John McDonnell and 'Labour `Change' . There is a piece on the BBC website saying that John and other Left MPs ( unnamed ) intend to run on a separate manifesto on some issues at the next election. Now a discussion about policies can be common sense but this is kamikaze politics. Has anyone heard of the rule book? Also I haven't been aware of any public debate in the LRC on this tactic
Dave

susan press said...

I don't think the rule book precluded Alice Mahon or indeed Chris McCafferty distancing themselves from the leadership on issues.I don't think anyone voted for either thinking they signed up to all New Labour's policies. Quite frankly, and I can only speak for Calder Valley, if that had been the case then Chris would have lost.
It's kamikaze politics to carry on with the failed policies which are losing us votes by the fistful.
For individual MPs to state their case and where they stand is honourable. Indeed, for many it will be their only chance of hanging on at the next election. I don't have a problem with that and I'm surprised you seem to.

Duncan Hall said...

MPs stand on their own manifestos all the time (all the Co-op MPs have their own manifesto for instance). It is a perfectly logical thing to do.

Anonymous said...

I'm confused - again!

One minute you're calling for loyalty, then you're decrying it.

Is it the object of the loyalty that is the deciding factor?

David Duff

Anonymous said...

And Susan you were proved right. She wasn't de-selected. I was hoping she would be not the case when it came to the crunch.

I too think it was a bad call.

susan press said...

Hazel showed little loyalty to Gordon Brown. No doubt ( as I said) many Party members thought they were being loyal and I do not doubt their motives but they were wrong. One's overriding loyalty should be to the Party and it's done us no favours whatsoever to continue to support a discredited MP.

Dave said...

Hi Susan,

like too many on the Left, you surprise too easy. What is reported on the BBC website is a number of MPs being being bound together: collectively on a slate i e manifesto. Separate and presumably contradictory in part to the Labour Party Manifesto. The 'other' MPs remain nameless.

From that point of view it is difficult to understand what point Duncan Hall is making.

From what you say, you agree with this tactic of John McDonnell's and this does surprise me.

Also what you did not address is the transformation of the LRC into a democratic centralist oganisation. When did the 'foot soldiers' get to decide this was a 'good idea' ?

Dave Draycott

Merseymike said...

But the only thing she did was to do what ANYONE can do - and would do if they took sensible advice - with two properties, you can quite legally switch from one to another for tax purposes.

So, its quite OK for anyone else to do this, but not MP's. Sickening hypocrisy from the loathsome British public - who would want to represent such a shower, wallowing in their own puritanical buttoned-up 'high-mindedness'.

susan press said...

In answer to Dave, the LRC's policies are agreed at AGM . They are clearly stated on the website. Are you suggesting that MPs who support the LRC, or indeed EVERY MP, must support all Government policy?
The LRC is not a democratic centralist organisation. I would suggest it is the Govt which is proscribing policy "top down" without consultation. Who decided Royal Mail privatisation was a good idea?
John McDonnell said Mps who do not agree with aspects of Govt policy should make that clear - I seriously do not understand why you have a problem with this. If you do, then you are of course welcome to come and debate that at an LRC meeting. I will be sorting out a date for our next meeting in the next week.

Dave said...

Hi Susan,

it worries me that you continue to evade the question. A policy of a separate manifesto was not agreed at the LRC AGM.

You could have course have told me that the BBC were wrong. Instead you tiptoed around the issue.

I think I would have as much chance of a straight answer in person as online. So I'll pass on your invite.

Dave Draycott

susan press said...

Dave, I give up. I would have said the BBC was hyping it all up but had I done so no doubt you would have carped at that as well.
If you don't want to debate issues in person that's up to you. My conclusion is you just like to have a snipe at the LRC.
Frankly, MPs like John McDonnell and Jeremy Corbyn having different policy positions to New Labour- and saying so - is no surprise to anyone. But, as Jeremy Corbyn made clear at yestrday's Morning Star confeence, both still regard Labour as their home and will be campaigning to get Labour re-elected.
As I keep saying ad nauseam, there is nothing new in MPs making their own policy positions clear.
Do you seriously think their chances of being re-elected would be improved if they toed the New Labour line? If that's your campaign strategy in Halifax then I suggest you will be in trouble next year.

Dave said...

Hi Susan,

yeah, you could have started of by saying that the BBC were hyping things up. But you didn't. Which to my mind means they weren't. Hence the evasion.

As to me carping..... aaawww that hurts.

Dave Draycott

susan press said...

Dave, I haven't evaded anything.Actually, I do think this has been hyped and if MPs want to print their own leaflets/ write their own election material/ veer away fromn the mindless babble spouted by the machine well that's entirely up to them. End of story.If I were a PPC that's exactly what I would do.And there is no rule against it.
As I said, you just seem to enjoy having a go.And in this case, making a mountain out of a molehill.