Monday, 22 June 2009

GOOD LUCK TO TRIBUNE......

One of my abiding memories as a Labour activist was the Tribune rally in 1981 at the Labour Party Conference in Brighton. The one where ( at the risk of sounding like an episode of Friends) Margaret Beckett threw down the gauntlet to Neil Kinnock for not backing Tony Benn as Deputy Leader.
Earlier this year, Tribune faced oblivion but it's been re-launched and the link below shows the recent celebration in Parliament. Beckett features along with John Prescott and Peter Hain plus Billy Hayes and Tony Benn. I wish it well and as Benn says it's " a beacon of hope." So are the MPs who maintain our hope in democratic socialism as New Labour implodes. Let's not give up on the Labour Party. The fact Tribune is still around is a cause for optimism.

http://www.labourhome.org/forum/?p=6031

3 comments:

Islington Mill Art Academy said...

Hi Susan

I read your blog regularly and find it to be very interesting. I am an artist based in Salford and I am doing a project at the moment that I thought you might be interested in.

A few months ago, I made a discovery of some posters from the miners strike era still displayed on Greengate in Salford, some 26 years later. The posters are dated 1983 and were produced by the New Worker, the publication of the New Communist party. They advertise a number of meetings and events around the country and are emblazoned in large type with the words 'Support the Miners'. They are in amazingly good condition considering their years on the street. I am fascinated by the fact that something so ephemeral as a poster has survived on the street for so long especially taking into account their subject matter and our new found propensity for clean, sanitised cities.

As part of an art project I am developing, I have been been inviting people whom I think would be interested to see the posters to come along with me to visit them. I have been taking photographs to record each visit. If you would be interested in this, I would be more than happy to show them to you. It would be great to hear your thoughts on this.

Let me know if this sounds of interest.

All the best.

Maurice

mrcentreleft said...

Tribune is probably the most well-balanced and real progressive periodial in the Labour Movement, as to be honest, some (and I stress some) of the articles in Labour Briefing are frankly not on this planet, and on the other hand we have Progress which just churns out the same Blairite tosh month after month. (With the occasional good article I admit). But for me, Tribune wins hands down!

susan press said...

A bit unfair on Briefing! Which for the most part I think is a good publication given it's done on a shoestring and purely voluntarily. Progress, well, yes.......