Today, the papers report Jon Cruddas's announcement he will not be running for Labour Leader. The news will come as a surprise to some and a disappointment to many.
Actually, I am not surprised as it has been clear for some time that Cruddas is going to be supporting David Miliband. And running against him would not have been helpful to his chances.
There are many already, including trade unions and MPs, re-inventing Ed Miliband as the candidate of the left. It's nonsense.
I have just been reading the column written in his name in the Sunday Mirror and it is, to be honest, reactionary stuff. Two twin planks of his campaign appear to be clamping down on immigrants and tougher measures on welfare benefits. Yes, I appreciate it was a tabloid piece but why the same old mantras about "hard-working families" and other platitudes from the New Labour songbook.
Sure, if you asked me to choose, I would probably vote for the younger Miliband, He is more personable, less geeky, and not quite so tainted with the Mandelsonian mantle. But what a choice!
In his Sunday Mittor piece, Ed Miliband says he wants a contest with a broad swathe of candidates. Now Jon Cruddas has ruled himself out, how is that going to be likely?
The only other candidate so far, Ed Balls, is of exactly the same ilk as the Milibands. But, with a Parliamentary majority of less than 1500, also eminently vulnerable at the next election.
The idea that a choice between three fortysomething , middle-class males of roughly the same politics bears any relation to the broad church Labour Party of years gone by is a nonsense. The left should have a candidate. And, as Cruddas is not going to stand, the PLP should listen to the many members who want to see John McDonnell on the ballot paper. A woman candidate would be helpful too. But if it ends up in a Milband v Miliband race, frankly why bother spinning it out until September. Might as well toss a coin.......
Tuesday, 18 May 2010
ANOTHER SHOO-IN?
Posted by
susan press
at
09:24
Labels: Labour leadership
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Hi Susan,
in your earlier post you were denouncing Cruddas as a wrecker if he stood for Labour Leadership and so in your view became a block to John McDonnel.Now you claim to have known all the time that he wasn't going to stand and support DM (posts made after the Cruddas announcement.)I am dissapointed but it adds nothing to John McDonnels lack of credibility.
As for nasty: I take it by that you mean my tendency to answer back.....it's been a burden ever since I was at school.....though my teachers in the main took it better than you do.I don't know the uppity working class.
Dave Draycott
It had become clear in recent days that te silence from the Cruddas camp was deafening.
It will be a travesty if we have three candidates of the centre-right. So, in the absence of Cruddas, who would be your choice?
And no you don't just "answer back." Despite your former support for the LC, you never miss an opportunity to have a go. Despite the fact that four people from John McDonnell's team at Westminster came to help Linda Riordan in Halifax.
But you can't make candidates stand. I hope that John McDonnell does get the necessary nominations but he will need to look outside the Campaign Group - and a couple of group members have already nominated Ed Miliband
Hi Susan,
if four of John McDonnells team came to help Linda then thanks. Thanks also to Comrades from Huddersfield,Rotherham and Calder Valley who came to help along with all the others . It seems we owe a lot of people but where was the quid pro qo? Guilt tripping is not the way to hold a discussion.
My choice: I'm giving it some thought. It will not however be John McDonnell.
Any truth in the rumour he is about to step aside and endorse Diane Abbot?
It will be a little difficult to shout 'stitch up' if she gets on the ballot paper.
Dave Draycott
No there is no truth in it whatsoever. No-one is guilt-tripping. Just rather disappointed that former LRC and indeed John McDonnell supporters like yourself spend so much time writing snidey stuff when we came over to Halifax to help.
Hi Susan,
whilst I did show an interest in the LRC for a while and there are a lot of good people involved, I decided that in terms of left campaign groups it was too much 'same old, same old.'A former John McDonnell supporter?'You must be mixing me up with another Dave Draycott who doesn't send posts to your blog say John is not a credible candidate.
BtW what was the LRC selection process to choose John McDonnell as their candidate?
As for snide? Moi? As I have said many times before Susan you dish it out but can't take it (even when the replies lack your vitriol.)
Dave Draycott
PS are you sure about the John McDonnell stepping down in favour of Diane Abbot thing?
Sorry, must be confusing you with the Dave Craycott who attended two John4Leader meetings in 2007 and used to come to local meetings.
No John isn't standing down in favour of Dianne Abbott.
Hi Susan,
ever the eternal optimisist or a journo to the end. Attending a handfull of meetings is what helped me make my mind up.
I'm a little suprised by the way that there is nothing on your blog about the bunch of idiot trots who smashed up the Unite/BA negotiations.
I'm sure that everyone on the rational left can condemn this action.
Dave Draycott
I have no time whatsoever for the mob who broke up the meeting. If you are implying otherwise you're dead wrong
Post a Comment