Monday, 24 May 2010

THIS IS A DISGRACE!

I have just had an e-mail from a Labour Party member to say his MP is not nominating anyone for the leadership because she "doesn't know" any of the candidates.
Now i am not on first name terms with Ed Miliband myself but the notion I would not want to vote is unthinkable. The fact is that many MPs are blatantly ignoring the wishes of thousands of members and treating us with contempt.
However I am glad to say Tom Harris MP has joined the growing chorus asking for a lowering of the nominations threshold to 5 per cent of the PLP . More info about it over at Labour List and on the John4Leader Facebook group - which now has nearly 1700 members

6 comments:

Tom said...

This is the archetypical grimmerupnorth headline. Amazing.

Merseymike said...

She may well choose to vote once she has seen and heard from the candidates, just not nominate anyone

susan press said...

Tom, presumably then you don't think it's wrong that a Labour MP in the privileged position of having a Parliamentary vote is ducking out of the process. I think that's pretty amazing. But, actually, indefensible

Peter Kenyon said...

Dear Susan

No, I think Tom is onto something. I have already described the NEC proposals for the Leadership contest as a 'coup'. The PLP was being bounced into nominating in indecent haste. The Rule Book if it had been followed points to a nomination deadline in the last week of July (given a date for the ballot starting on 16 August). Then PLP members would have had adequate time to have their own hustings, members ditto, PLP members could have heard views of members/affiliates and the electorate. End July would have then been the time to nominate. It still might be if the NEC wants to optimise recruitment. So spare a thought for the hapless MP who presumably refuses to be bounced.

We should salute her. BTW who is she?

susan press said...

Actually, Peter, have subsequently found out it was another Miliband vote - Rachel Reeves

davidhenry said...

The MP in question clearly sees the distinction between signing a 'nomination' and casting a 'vote'.

The later being anonymous. This is crucial and I guess the real blame must be placed upon the challengers themselves who haven't even bothered to meet their fellow MPs.