Wednesday, 12 May 2010

NO MORAL COMPASS.....

Compass got it blindingly, spectacularly wrong on the desirability of a Lib-Lab pact. As you would expect from a group led by the chattering classes with no base at all outside the metropolitan elite. I am profoundly relieved that the overwhelming majority of the Party, right across the spectrum, from left to right and centre, saw the foolishness and danger of the coalition called for by Neal Lawson, Polly Toynbee et al. But there was one bit of this otherwise nonsensical mutual suicide pact of "progressive coalition" which these two got absolutely right. As follows.......


If the Liberal Democrats enter a formal coalition with the Conservatives or prop up a minority Conservative government then they will lose for a generation and probably forever the right to call themselves a party of progress. The party would be split and Labour, if it gets its act right on the issue of proportional voting, Trident, tuition fees, fair taxes, immigration, civil liberties and much more, could eat up the thousands of Liberal Democrat activists and millions of Liberal Democrat voters.
On Thursday, at least 57% of the British people voted for parties seen as being on the centre left. The next few days will determine whether that perception was right.
Neal Lawson is Chair of Compass. Richard Grayson is Vice-Chair of the Liberal Democrat federal policy committee and was Liberal Democrat director of policy 1999-2004

4 comments:

Merseymike said...

Power certainly corrupts, doesn't it? I thought it was blatantly obvious that whatever people thought of the pros and cons, a coalition wasn't going to happen, and in any case, Clegg is a Tory. Some of us have been saying this for months (and I'd place myself closer to Compass than the LRC, politically)

Yes, this is an opportunity, but it does mean that the leadership campaign must be both open AND civil.

And realistically, the winning candidate won't be John McDonnell, though I hope he gets the nominations to allow him to stand. I'm going to vote for Ed Miliband if he stands.

susan press said...

Whoever thw winning candidate is, I think it is essential the left gets a say in the hustings......

Unknown said...

Why don't you join us?

Together with the Libservatives, we're a progressive force that can take Britain Back for good.

http://www.condems.org.uk

Spenny said...

I was at an IPPR briefing today with Prof. John Curtice going through the polling data and seeing what it all meant going forwards.

I was most intrigued by the mention of the so-called 'David Laws' element in the LDs. If the coalition goes south (metaphorically speaking, as it's already there geographically), Curtice expects the Laws element to formally join the Tories and leave the likes of Simon Hughes to pick up the pieces of whatever is left of the LDs. Certainly something to watch out for.