The next 10 days are going to be absolutely crucial for the future of the Labour Party. We now have a once-in-a-generation chance to make it clear we are a broad church with room for views across the spectrum and a diverse discussion as to where we want our Party to go with a new Leader
Talking to friends in the Party , many of whom don't share my political views. they agree the need has never been greater for a leadership contest in which everyone has a say.
The sad fact is we're looking at a situation in which everyone apart from David and Ed Miliband is struggling to get the 33 nominations from MPs required to stand. Why should MPs have the veto on a contest in which most of us would like ALL the declared candidates to have a chance. We pay £39 a year in subs yet it looks as though the PLP is dismissing what is a clear grassroots wish to waive the ridiculous threshold figure and allow a really interesting debate which would bring thousands back to Labour and restore our reputation as a Party which welcomes diverse views. Don't let them do it!
I'm standing with Christine Shawcroft as the LRC's candidate and one of 8 CLGA candidates seeking nominations. Christine has a fine track-record as an incumbent who has stood up for activists for many years.
I also want to put in a word for Save The Labour Party's Peter Kenyon, who and has done sterling work on our behalf both on the NEC and in the ast seven years fighting for Party democracy.
I've been a Labour Party member since the 1970's. I am a local Labour councillor, trade unionist and socialist activist. I need as many nominations as I can muster from CLPs to boost our case for a renewed, socialist Labour Party. A formal statement will follow but for now please do all you can to support myself and fellow LRC supporter Christine Shawcroft.
It is time the grassrotos had a serious voice in fighting the undemocratic stage-managed procedures and Parliamentary selections which have marred our Party in the recent period, And allowed the NEC to make wrong-headed decisions which have disillusioned many. We want our Party back! My membership number for CLP nominations is L0017551
Saturday, 22 May 2010
WHY I'M STANDiNG FOR THE NEC
Posted by
susan press
at
23:51
Labels: NEC elections
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'll be voting for a balanced ticket - a mixture of different views.
On the threshold. I can understand why there is a threshold, but I think one way round this would be to allow MP's to nominate up to three candidates. After all, MP's may be happy with some candidates and not others, and if they could nominate more than one I think that just about everyone other than total headbangers could get 32 nominations
Post a Comment