Monday, 20 August 2007

ALBANIA MARK 2

Many on the Labour right seem to take great pleasure in the stifling of debate. Inevitably, the likes of Luke Akehurst are now laughing their heads off at the prospect of a shoo-in for Wendy Alexander in Scotland. Quite why, when Labour are at least 14 points behind the SNP in the opinion polls, I fail to see. In the long-term, the joke may well be on them. With a weary sense of deja vu, I find myself utterly bemused at this Party's unwillingness to discuss the arguments, debate the issues, or even slightly challenge the status quo.I also find it quite extraordinary that not even six MSPs can be mustered to mount a challenge.
In the case of Scotland, Labour desperately needs a fresh image, and a socialist agenda ( why else has the SNP gained ground , right or wrong it's perceived as well to the left of Labour) People also need reminding of the radical (and I mean radical) values of much of the Party and the trade unions. UNISON Scotland, I don't need to remind many of you, nominated John McDonnell for Labour leader. But, as of now, the hopes of the left seem to lie in tatters once again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Quite why, when Labour are at least 14 points behind the SNP in the opinion polls"

Yougov polls for Scotland this weekend (Sunday Times)

Westminster elecitons: Lab 40%, SNP 31%

Holyrood...constituencies: SNP 32% Lab 32%
Regional lists: SNP 35, Lab 32

Luke Akehurst said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho he he he he he he he he. Shoe-in, shoe-in! Well I bloody well didn't nominate John McDonnell. If we can't win it back at the polls, maybe we should bring the boys back from Iraq and send them north of the border.

Anonymous said...

Even as an added JD supporter and a memeber of the Scot UNISON Lab Link Ctte I must point out that we did not nominate JD as well we couldnt because there was no contest, all that was agreed was we would not nominate Brown!