For the first time in a long time I'm facing a "challenging" financial situation. Which in the long-term I am sure I will recover from. But let me tell you that having to think about every penny spent really does sharpen up the radicalism.
I find it outrageous that Govt Ministers on upwards of £100,000 a year sit there pontificating on the TV about public sector workers who are fighting derisory pay awards. Do they really think prison officers are striking for the sake of being militant? Mark Serwotka, leader of the PCS, has warned that there will be more industrial unrest in the weeks and months ahead and who could be surprised by that. Interest rates have gone up, food prices are rising, utility companies and company directors make fantastic profits and we pay for their privilege.
And as ever the lowest-paid are expected to sit back and take it on the chin. And let's get one thing straight. My current circumstances mean I'm managing on roughly the same amount as a rookie prison officer. But I have a very small mortgage by most people's standards, I don't drive, and have no financial dependents. With the best will in the world ( and lots of lentils) it's pretty difficult . How on earth people with kids, mortgages and the general expense of living in the south-east manage I just don't know. Maybe they should ask Jack Straw and his henchmen to try it for a bit.
Thursday, 30 August 2007
CASH-STRAPPED
Posted by
susan press
at
10:40
Labels: Brown Govt, Jack Straw, POA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment