I thought maybe Jack Straw had learned from his comments over Muslim women wearing the veil, which caused much mischief, and anguish for Muslim communities. But this was obviously naive of me. Today, on the Today programme, he has been using the worst stereotypes imaginable to explain why black boys apparently under-perform at school. This, says Straw, is because their fathers are absent. Something endemic, he says, in black culture.
Really? A quick head-count of the couples I know ( where I live is a white, largely lower middle-class and middle-class community) sees very few people now co-habiting with the person they originally married (or set up home with). Many more women I know are single; most not by choice; some are gay and lesbian parents.
Society, whether Straw likes it or not, has changed irrevocably. It may not be anyone's ideal. I would probably accept that children are better off with one stable home and two stable parents. But most kids learn to make the best of their circumstances and singling out young black men in this way is wrong, unhelpful, and frankly, racist.
Some years ago, I did a report on GCSE achievements in Manchester's young black community.It was my job to put the best spin possible on the results. We found that one of the major issues affecting these youngsters was not their sex, but whether or not their parents ( one or two, it didn't matter) had jobs, and what their economic circumstances were. This far more than sexual irresponsibility ( which is what he means) is surely to blame for community problems.
Jack Straw should keep his stereotypical views to himself. All they do is fuel organisations like the BNP. Which, to be fair, is surely not his intent.
Tuesday, 21 August 2007
JACK STRAW FUELS RACISM - AGAIN
Posted by
susan press
at
11:24
Labels: Jack Straw, racism
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Good post Grim. The question of young people's achivement and ethnicity comes up at LOL. Yesterday re Lib-Dem mayor in Southwark and today where I have just fisked Dale on Chindamo. Intelligent comments very welcome.
"Something endemic, he says, in black culture.
Really?"
I doubt he's right, but it might be worth checking the numbers, scientific socialism depends on scientific conclusions.
Well, you're probably right. But I lay no claims to be a scientist.... or a scientific socialist......most of my socialism is based on empirical observation and experience as member of working-class.....
There is a "baby father" thing going on there which is well-documented and rather different to the shenanigans and decadence of Hebden Bridge.
But, and I didn't think I'd be saying this, Jack Straw was good on C4 News last night, separating govt and judiciary on another matter. And refreshingly honest too in the matter of Learco Chindamo.
What "shenanigans and decadence???" LoL.None in my patch.....
Post a Comment