Well, maybe there won't be a coronation in Scotland after all. Thanks to Dave Osler for the news that left-wing Labour supporters are to consider challenging Wendy Alexander for the leadership of the party in Scotland.
The Campaign for Socialism has apparently called an emergency meeting this weekend which will discuss the possibility of fielding a candidate. Any nominee would require the support of six MSPs to force a contest. The obvious challenger to Wendy Alexander would be Elaine Smith, a principled left stalwart who was a prominent supporter of the John McDonnell campaign. I first met Elaine in 2004 when she spoke at a fringe meeting I helped organise at the Manchester Spring Conference. She was a breath of fresh air. Since then, Elaine has helped build the Campaign For Socialism in Scotland and recently took part in the LabOUR Commission on Party democracy. Only 6 MSPs are needed to ensure a contest - but as ever word is that finding the requisite number of left labour MSPs will not be easy.Let's hope for once this is good news for the Labour left.
Thursday, 16 August 2007
ELAINE 4 LEADER!
Posted by
susan press
at
10:59
Labels: Elaine Smith, Scottish Labour
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Excellent news indeed
I was rather dismayed at the prospect of another coronation. I've no idea what the likelihood of finding 6 MSP backers is, but hopefully it is achievable and the left can be involved in a meaningful policy debate as part of the contest
I believe they need 1 more......
Hopefully Scottish Labour will follow the lead of Welsh Labour and elect a person from the left of the party to lead it. Sadly Rhodri Morgan has said he will resign in 2009, hopefully another socialist will get elected.
Good like to Elaine and our comrades in Scotland.
I mean good luck of course, the more socialists in leasership roles in Scotland, the better.
In Labour rather. I keep making mistakes today :$
Socialists in Labour AND Scotland - let's go for both!
Post a Comment