Tuesday, 5 August 2008

BORIS BACKS OUT OF MAYORS FOR PEACE

Until this morning, I wasn't aware that Boris Johnson had disassociated himself from the Mayors For Peace Initiative.But I don't suppose I am surprised. However, given that it costs nothing and is just a global message of goodwill and support for a nuclear-free world, it seems both petty and wrong-headed.
Last year our Town Council signed up to the initiative so I'm pleased to have just signed a statement in support of Cities Appeal backing the Hiroshima-Nagasaki protocol, which is aiming for a nuclear-free world by 2020.
Here's the quote I gave to the local press: ” As a council, we are supporters of the Mayors For Peace initiative and the Hiroshima-Nagasaki protocol is an important part of that process. Its goal of achieving a nuclear-free world by 2020 is one I wholeheartedly support and I’m pleased to offer our support for this global campaign. Relying on weapons of mass destruction to keep the world a peaceful one is madness. If we wish to safeguard future generations, we need to take serious steps to rid the world of the appalling prospect of nuclear war.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boris has also gone backon a minwage committment for hotelworkers

somuch for election promises

Robert said...

Considering last night on News night two of the top Greens agree that Nuclear power stations are a way forward, you can see both have been got at by the government, better to have Nuclear fuel then coal power stations, oh yea who said. Ok one was not really for it, but he did say with the right way forward it was worth looking at.