Saturday, 30 August 2008

WOOLLY JUMPERS AND WINDFALLS

I had my first sighting yesterday of the new crop of brussels sprouts . Coupled with the arrival of corn on the cob in our local co-op that means autumn is almost upon us. I'm not upset in one way as I haven't had the most pleasant of summers - but the falling temperatures are going to hit all of us hard when it comes to fuel bills.
I'm a long way from being in fuel poverty but nevertheless I will be donning extra woolly jumpers, lighting the wood-burning stove and basically doing anything I can to cut costs.
If we don't as a Party do something radical to ensure the utilities pay for their rank profiteering we will not be forgiven. The windfall tax proposal, now backed I believe by 93 MPs, and thousands of activists, is an excellent one which I think would win the Government some much-needed support. On another note I was pleased to see that the Treasury is actually considering allowing local authorities to buy back homes which are repossessed . I furst heard of this proposal some months ago from Tony Benn at the LRC's LEAP conference and it is a bit heartening to note the Govt going even some way towards more council housing.

3 comments:

Robert said...

My council have said they spent years getting rid of social housing it has no chance at all of going back that way again, it says the government has to work with Housing Associations which should be a laugh mine is in debt to millions, and demanding money from government the worry is what happens if they do not get it.

Anonymous said...

yes and on the food side of things our local aldi is doing a roaring trade ,in fact i spotted their jam being used on the hairy bakers the other night , those bbc budget cuts eh, still it's rather nice jam

Anonymous said...

Oh but don't worry about the rising fuel prices Susan, the government have already prepped Harman and Blears, soon enough they'll be back on our tv screens to reassure us that "we're all feeling the pinch"...