Wednesday, 27 August 2008

WHEN TROUBLES COME...

This was never meant to be a personal blog. I think that sort of thing is best reserved for friends and family. But I have been touched by the messages of support from people I don't know but who have left kind thoughts about my father. I also found out today that members of my family who I haven't seen for ages read it so I'm just posting a personal thank-you to all. My dad is still in hospital and we're coping on a day-to-day basis. I hope he will rally round. I just don't know.
The point is I suppose that we spend most of our lives denying the fact of our ( and others) mortality but it is just something that has to be faced. Found out also today that a young cousin of mine has just died and that my late mother's sister, who I have always regarded as a "second mum" is now in a care home in the West of Ireland with Alzheimer's. Have spent most of the evening in tears. Not for me but for the fact that life is often very difficult for those whose loved ones are ill and in trouble.
As Shakespeare said, when troubles come they come not in single spies but in battalions.........but in times of difficulty I suppose we also find out who our true friends are. I think these things help us through the bad times. They also make us appreciate the good times - which in an effort to be optimistic I hope will one day soon return.
Whatever our political differences, whatever our arguments, let's hope we all share a common humanity which makes us look out for each other. My dad would say that's what socialism is all about.......

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear this, Susan. Best wishes from myself, and on behalf of all Labour bloggers.

Ravi Gopaul said...

Sorry for your loss Susan.

I used to look after people with Alzheimers; it was difficult for the loved ones most of all.

Keep a strong heart.

All the best

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about this, best wishes from me too.

Btw, this devastating report on social injustice and deprivation by the WHO (see below)is truly disturbing: where a boy living in the deprived Glasgow suburb of Calton will live on average 28 years less than a boy born in nearby affluent Lenzie.

shame on Nl, you should do a
piece on it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7584056.stm

Anonymous said...

All the best to you Susan from me and Brother S at AVPS.

Anonymous said...

best wishes susan x

Anonymous said...

Susan - wishing you and your Dad big hugs despite differing political opinions of you and I. Take care both.
Anon who will not be chewing their foot off despite their protestations.
Hear hear for your Dad's views on socialism.

tory boys never grow up said...

Your Dad is absolutely right about socialism - we should all feel a ache in our hearts when we see anyone hurting or suffering. Wishing you well.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, common humanity is about looking out for each other and comradeship and indeed socialism.
Hope you are ok, Susan.

Anonymous said...

After you've completely brushed your teeth, clean your mouth also. All sorts of established gunk can develop on the tongue, and this may cause anything from smelly breath to gum condition. A clean oral cavity signifies each work surface, so remember to brush your the teeth and mouth after which floss to get the best hygiene. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Biuyu656gy[/url]

Anonymous said...

Keep good. Lower back pain may be disconcerting for you, particularly if it will become long-term back discomfort. Keeping beneficial and focusing on reducing stress in other areas of your way of life will help your rear, by allowing you to distract on your own and to pay attention to items that provide you with happiness and enjoyment as an alternative. [url=http://www.xxxw12woo.info]co67tss[/url]