Tuesday, 12 June 2007

DIFFERENT DOG, SAME KENNEL

High summer is now upon us and we seem to have reached another low on the political scene. If I cast my mind back a couple of years I imagined Blair's final exit as leading to unbridled joy and merriment in Labour ranks . Fresh start, new era, all that kind of stuff.

So I open my Guardian today and the Attorney General is in deep shit over the arms deal to Saudi Arabia, Tessa Jowell is busy defending the Olympic logo which causes attacks of epilepsy, and Gordon Brown is completely ignoring the wishes of everyone and discounting an exit strategy from Iraq. On the hustings, word has it the questions are all stage-managed as per usual. No, it is not the glad confident morning I had imagined........And still the relentless, pointless bandwagon of the Deputy Leadership election trundles on.
It is , as Shakespeare put it, "a tale of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
Which is possibly why the turn-out at the otherwise successful Compass conference was about half what they were expecting.
PS:Yes I know I said I wouldn't mention it again.
PPS: I have always been a great fan of Mutley and was a good excuse to use his picture

No comments: