Wednesday, 20 June 2007

LIB-LAB GOVERNMENT?


When Gordon Brown talked recently of a "government of all the talents," some may have harboured hopes that would mean a more inclusive approach and maybe one or two centre-left MPs in the Cabinet.Maybe that will still happen. But, ominously, the Guardian reports today that Brown and Sir Menzies Campbell have held "private discussions" in recent days about a plan for one or two senior Lib Dems to join Mr Brown's first cabinet for a possible all-party initiative on the future of the British constitution. Brown and Ming are old friends , which is fine. Paraxchuting Lib dems into the Cabinet would not, I wager, be well-received by the Party.Let's hope this is just speculation.
UPDATE: Ming now denying this. So Gawd knows what Gord is up to.

3 comments:

Chris Paul said...

I think Ming is saying that if he wants this (being Foreign Secretary) he will have to cross the floor. I think he will do so myself.

Johnson hasn't got a vote from me either. I think Harman or Cruddas could spring a surprise here. Whichever is in third after Blears and Hain transfers should get most of the next transfer IMO.

susan press said...

Interesting analysis Chris. Can't see Ming doing that at all.Johnson will get Blears's votes and Hain's will be split three ways IMHO which I reckon will possibly swing in favour of Johnson. Not a good outcome but don't be surprised.......

Anonymous said...

Newsnight says Brown is going to appoint "talented" non-Labour people to the House of Lords and then make them junior ministers.
Totally unacceptable.
I've suggested a course of action for the left on my blog.