In the past few days I have been on the receiving end of some fairly nasty posts from an "anonymous" person who makes the usual right-wing noises about "Trots" making trouble for the leadership. So let me absolutely clear about this. I would love to be extolling the virtues of Gordon Brown .I would love to be reporting how under his leadership the Govt has turned away from the failed politics of Blairism and turned back towards Labour values, shown solidarity with low-paid workers, curbed the excesses of the fat cats in the City, backed a Living Wage, Trade Union Freedom Bill etc etc.
Today, this nasty poster goes a step too far in saying my support for the unions' campaign for an EU referendum means I am lining up with the BNP and UKIP.Or, as he puts it so nicely "getting into bed with Nick Griffin."
As he knows full well ( or maybe he doesn't) where the Tories want a referendum to limit the influence of Brussels the TUC are looking to extend it.
Many unions see a referendum campaign as a way to exert pressure on the PM to sign up fully to the European charter of fundamental rights, which guards against employment abuses.
That's a move the government's always avoided because employers argue it would unfairly skew the labour market. Brown as we know is agreat fan of "flexibility." and global capitalism
Labour also went into the 2005 general election with a manifesto pledge to hold a referendum on the now scrapped European constitution. Once the EU resurrected large parts of the constitution in the form of a treaty, there were calls from opponents for the referendum pledge to be revived. Those opponents include Bob Crow from the RMT and Paul Kenny from the GMB. And their reasons are entirely honourable. Which is more than i can say for people who trawl the internet posting anonymous bile .Today, I hope the TUC backs the referendum calls.
Wednesday, 12 September 2007
IN ANSWER TO ANONYMOUS SLURS
Posted by
susan press
at
11:03
Labels: EU refeendum, TUC
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
"the failed politics of Blairism" - yes it's shocking how he threw away 100 years of Labour tradition and started winning elections isn't it?
If this fifth-form-style rant is typical of the way you carry on in real life I’m not surprised your branch meetings aren’t quorate…
Many unions see a referendum campaign as a way to exert pressure on the PM to sign up fully to the European charter of fundamental rights, which guards against employment abuses.
Guff. They are saying this because they haven't recovered from harold Wilson doing them in the 75 referendum.
anonymous, you are very sad and from now on I'm not responding to your wind-ups. Blair may have won elections but was loathed by the public in the end.Don't confuse the man ( once a vote-winner) and his ideology (utterly discredited)
Actually as the ANON who originally pointed out your purile attitude I had not responded to this post - But its nice to see as a long standing active Labour Party Member I have hit the right buttons with "Ignorant of Hebden Bridge"
Not very bright are you ?
Sorry for not responding earlier but we've been on the streets fighting a by election - and the Facists are getting hurt !
What have you been doing on this?
Is it F**K A** as we have long come to expect from the LRC
Sorry, but it's rather difficult to differentiate between one offensive anonymous poster and another.
As an elected councillor, trade unionist, and community activist with over 30 years' experience in the Labour Party I do my fair share.However, I don't need to justify myself to cowardly tossers like you who hurl insults round the internet,
I really think the call for a referendum is short-sighted.
You know well that the outcome will be negative and that will be read as a victory for the Atlanticists and little englanders.
Europe is the best option and I think that it should be treated as an issue like any other - not subject to referenda.
Post a Comment