Wednesday, 5 September 2007

THE QUOTE RE THATCH

On reflection, perhaps I was a little over-emotive last night so, in the interests of objectivity, this is what GB actually said. I still think it's offensive, expedient and unacceptable. I would be interested to know what others think.....
"Whatever disagreements you have with her about certain policies – there was a large amount of unemployment at the time which perhaps could have been dealt with – we have got to understand that she saw the need for change. I also admire the fact that she is a conviction politician... I am a conviction politician like her."

5 comments:

Chris Paul said...

My interpretation of what he said:

1. She has/had a horrific set of beliefs that he does not agree with

but

2. Unlike Dave-id but like Gordon she was resolute, she got things done, she actually believed in something, not risk averse

and

3. You Tories are completely stuffed. I have just bought in a few million potential Tory dabblers who rather liked Thatch but can now see that Cam is not match

What he is attempting, rather successfully in my view, is making the Tories unelectable, belittling Cameron, strengthening his own position as a serious leader

What he is not doing is endorsing anything specific Thatch did - only saying that she wasn't afraid of change ... and nor is Gordon ... but Cam is

That's what I think, for what it's worth. I have a post-modern kind of take on this I suppose ...

susan press said...

I have an old-fashioned hatred of the Tories and anyone who gives them credit.

Anonymous said...

"I have an old-fashioned hatred of the Tories and anyone who gives them credit."

As a first-time visitor to your site, I'm not quite sure this is the best way to attempt serious political debate and dialogue. Was there nothing done during the periods when the Tories were in Government that was right? At all? Would the country have actually been better if Labour had won the 79 election?

Blind hatred and prejudice doesn't seem to me to be the hallmark of a rational, and right-thinking person. I thought the Labour party were meant to be against prejudice? Or is ok when it's against Tories?

Just a thought...

Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

In answer to anonymous -
No the Tories did nothing of any vakue between 1979 and 1997
Yes, the country would have been aeons better if lab had won. Hope that answers your question....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clarifying that - with an attitude like that, I won't be reading your blog again.