I am very glad to note that Jon Cruddas is venturing out once more beyond the comfort zone of COMPASS. Since almost getting the deputy leadership ( and OK OK on reflection I should have voted for him) Cruddas has been very quiet. He went up in my estimation when he apparently turned down a minor job in the Government to paddle his own , very individual canoe. Once Conference is over, he will be speaking at the next big event of the political season.
A National Parliamentary Rally in support of the Trade Union Rights And Freedoms Bill proposed by John McDonnell will be held on Thursday October 18. First introduced to the House last year and with an EDM signed by over 187MPs, this has every chance of being passed - if enough of us speak out in support and lobby our MPs . More info . http://www.unitedcampaign.org.uk/ Other speakers on the day will include Tony Woodley, Bob Crow, Paul Kenny and Katy Clark MP. My union, the NUJ, is one of around 20 ( including UNISON and UNITE) backing the campaign .
Wednesday, 19 September 2007
CRUDDAS TEAMS UP WITH McDONNELL TO BACK TRADE UNION RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS BILL
Posted by
susan press
at
16:20
Labels: John McDonnell, Jon Cruddas, Trade Union Freedom Bill
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Get your NUJ branch to sponsor the campaign too, Susan. Mine has.
OK......
i think you're making a big mistake in bigging up cruddas. he was largely the creation of the right wing trade union bureaucracy and their project to deny a genuine left challenge to brown. these are the same people who have now lined up to support gordon's proposals to exterminate party conference. i didn't vote for any of the deputy leadership candidates and i stand by that decision.
I'm not bigging up Cruddas.I just thought it interesting he's carrying on at least supporting decent campaigns.I didn't vote for him precisely because of the reasons you mention so I voted for Harriet Harman which was arguably an even bigger mistake.The plain fact is now we have to build alliances with the soft left whenever we can - or we're stuffed.....
I supported Benn, again for the reasons Colin gives. At least I didn't have the opportunity to discover whether or not that was a mistake! But I think that it's really good that Cruddas is supporting this. I agree that we need to build alliances.
the main task is we all get as much suppport as possible for this bill. despite my comment earlier i certainly do welcome cruddas being involved and its to his credit that he's speaking at the rally. i think we should be wary of bandying labels like soft or hard left around. most people i know don't identify themselves as such.
Post a Comment