Friday, 28 September 2007

SEND IN THE CLONES?


Quote: "It has been a fantastic Conference week which has shown our party to be more confident, more determined and more united than ever before."
Source is the Labour Party website. Indeed, the mood is so exuberant the Guardian today predicts a snap election. I tend to agree. Good news, personally, as I will be covering the Manchester results for ITN and PA and get paid lots of money. Bad news - dozens more of uber New Labourites imposed on constituencies , including my own, therefore depriving decent , hard-working local candidates of any chance at all.
Well I've got this message to the Party if it does that. If our candidate is imposed then I will NOT campaign in this constituency but in neighbouring ones where there are MPs I respect and support politically. Two of them, Mike Wood and Linda Riordan, will be in Hebden Bridge tomorrow to speak at the LRC conference on Re-building The Labour Left. I will be frank, If there IS a snap election, our chances of doing any such thing are whittled away even further than they have been this week at the "Conference."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to agree. If we get an imposed candidate in Nottingham South with whom I disagree then I will probably go and campaign in nearby Broxtowe. Although I don't always agree with Nick Palmer, I do respect him and think he is a fine member of parliament.

susan press said...

Well, Christine Shawcroft would be the firsr casualty, much to the delight of Gordon......

Anonymous said...

I am surprised Gordon doesn't let Christine in Parliament. She would be much more isolated there and unlike the NEC, she will be subject to party whip. With the retirement of Walter the the NEC group will then decline from 4 to 3 bearing in mind up to half of members tend to vote 3-3 on the slates anyway?

Is Christine a better asset to the movement on the NEc rather than parliament?

susan press said...

I don't think Christine would be cowed by the Party Whip......

Anonymous said...

Indeed, she is likely to be the most rebellious and good luck to her. However my point is she is likely to mean 1 and possibly 2 less seats on the NEC for CLGA.

In addition do you think your threat:

"Well I've got this message to the Party if it does that. If our candidate is imposed then I will NOT campaign in this constituency"

is likely to impress your own CLP colleagues who may disagree with your views but respect your workrate?

As you will be aware unless we have fixed term parliaments (oh for the Kinnock March 1992 commitment, which he never consulted the rest of the party on) it is inevitable that the NEC as the only appropriate body will have these powers.