An anonymous poster (they always are) today accused me of being on the "lunatic fringe."
He of course is perfectly entitled to that view but I doubt the same charge could be levelled at Dave Prentis, the moderate UNISON leader (pictured) who normally goes out of his way to be conciliatory.
However a few minutes ago on the radio Prentis spoke out against Brown's stubbiorn, wrong-headed stance on public sector pay. He talked quite rightly of the unfairness of "public sector workers bearing the brunt of the government's cost-cutting measures because of an inflation caused by the £14billion in bonuses for people in the City who are now busy spending their money and pushing up prices. People in the public sector have got to be looked after otherwise you can't have the goodwill of the workforce." Well said, Dave.


3 comments:
A good while ago, I believe we had a disagreement on LabourHome regarding the pay settlement given to nurses. I defended it on the grounds that this was just a one off and that this was something that occasionally had to happen.
This time round, I think the government's action is indefensible. The settlement which I believe will give 2%, 0% and 1% rises over the next 3 years will essentially amount to a 3% pay cut. And that's just based on the assumption that CPI will remain at 2% over the next 3 years. If the CPI rises or you use RPI size of the pay cut only gets bigger.
I agree that this is an unacceptable settlement and the unions deserve out support on this.
Go one keep confirming you part of the lunatic fringe.
We saw the trots off in the recent past, and I've still got the stomach for more agro.
We will return this party to the working class principles of Clem and Nye, not those middle class fantasies of Mosely.
Anon
I'm not sure I have much more stomach for your posts, anonymous but I'm not deleting them as they are good PR for us. Ta.
Post a Comment