This morning to Mayor's Civic Reception ( for my sins I am Deputy) which was a very pleasant occasion with cause for one or two wry smiles. Our Mayor is a Liberal Democrat but this is Hebden Bridge where all kinds of strange things happen......expect the unexpected. Hence the service in the local school was a humanist one, the local brass band played the Marseilaise, and we sang a song called Solidarity Forever ( to the tune of John Brown's Body..) and finished off with Woody Guthrie's socialist anthem. This Land Is Your Land. Hence also no national anthem...... which caused much huffing and puffing from one or two Tory dignitaries.
And a sharp observation from one of my Labour colleagues that the whole event was far to the left of what our lot would probably come up with . Except of course, in Hebden Bridge. Where next year I hope to have the Tories singing the Red Flag or possibly the Internationale.....with the local parish priest ( a Labour Party member) joining in.
Sunday, 16 September 2007
IN SHARP CONTRAST....
Posted by
susan press
at
14:35
Labels: Hebden bridge, Town Council
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hello Susan, I have left messages with Owen and Luke to mention the 25th anniversary of Sabra and Shatila Massacre which fell on Sunday. Could you make a post on this issue as I feel this have been ignored by the media.
Post a Comment