Wednesday, 12 March 2008

COMING OUT OF THE DARK....

Working so furiously today no time to take in details of the Budget beyond the fact that fuel allowances are going up to £400 for the over-80s ( good news for my dad) and increases in tax credits which are fine as far as they go - but not far enough. I will wait to learn from far more expert eyes than mine what the realities are of Darling's budget. But I have had time to change the template of the old blog and come out into the light! Fond as I was of the unremittingly grim template, I think this makes things more readable......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan, consider yourself covered in kisses, er, in the most impeccably fraternal way, of course. I hated that black background! This is much easier for my old eyes.

As for 'Broon's' budget - you don't really think his glove puppet had much to do with it, do you? - the only difference is that whilst he was spending money like a drunken sailor over the last few years when the money was rolling in, now, he's still spending but putting himself, or I should say, putting us, in the hands of the international money-lenders for astronomical ammounts of debt. We'll be paying this off for years to come - or at least, you will be, I'll probably be dead - but you'll know where the ghostly chuckle will be coming from as you see you taxes go up, up and away.

susan press said...

In the words of Amy Winehouse, I'm thinking of going back to black. Doesn't look like my blog but spose wil get used to it.Darling seems to have tinkered around a bit and let the rich off pretty scot-free while punishing the jobless. More considered thoughts tomorrow

Anonymous said...

Susan , it was much easier to read
when it was black, like the simple black dress it is always best to stick to basics.


Anyway, slipped into the budget was an announcement that will have massive impact on disabled claimants and others:

'From April 2010, all long-term recipients of incapacity benefit will attend work capacity programmes.'

This is despite Hutton when DWP Secretary promising the select committee discussing the welfare reform act that they had no plans to 'migrate' existing claimants.

Now, no matter how ill or disabled they are, millions of the most vulnerable people in the U.K will have to face very invasive and brutal tests undertaken by private companies.

People have to speak out now..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nickrobinson/2008/03/benefit_tests.html

susan press said...

yes I've clocked this and so have others - a disgrace