This September, Labour heads for Manchester and for many of us who are stoically signing up for the Conference it's not an appealing prospect. So why are we going?
It was Bournemouth 2003 which opened my eyes to the damage New Labour had inflicted on the Party. I became determined to try and stop the rot and got involved in several pressure groups, gravitating ultimately to the LRC. Well, five years on as far as Conference goes I must be honest and concede that things have got worse, not better. Debate has been further stifled and G-Mex will be packed mostly with corporate sponsors and New Labour toadies. But we fight on......
The fringe is still good value for money and yes I do enjoy the camaraderie of it all and getting drunk with comrades I see only once or twice a year. But there are more serious reasons to still get involved.
My CLP has a rule change motion coming up on the leadership threshold ( lobbying to start soon) .This year there will also be an "alternative conference" organised by a new group called Convention Of The Left. From what I can gather, most of its members are outside the Labour Party.But that is not a reason not to get involved. I would like to think we can share common aims - without necessarily agreeing on the means to achieve them. The conference will be taking place in Manchester throughout the week of the Labour event. It already has a website and I have provided a link......good luck with it, comrades.
Wednesday, 5 March 2008
CONVENTION OF THE LEFT
Posted by
susan press
at
13:28
Labels: Convention Of The Left
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
How will we know if you think we're New Labour Toadies or not?
I think it's fairly obvious
Post a Comment