Tonight I'm heading off to Manchester for a meeting to discuss plans and practicalities for a Convention Of The Left which is being held to coincide with Labour Party Conference. That particular jamboree, as we know, will be an anodyne affair with lots of back-slapping and corporate junkets. There will be very little chance to actually debate policy and of course thanks to the stitch-up agreed last year by Gordon Brown and trade union leaders no contemporary motions to actually VOTE on. It's still worth hanging around I hope for the fringe events and the chance to debate a constitutional change resolution on the leadership threshold which has been tabled by Calder Valley CLP. No doubt we will have to fight the Conference Arrangements Committee to keep it on the agenda but rest assured there will be no back-tracking from our delegate.
Monday, 31 March 2008
SEPTEMBER'S SOCIALIST ALTERNATIVE
By way of contrast, the Convention will include socialists and trade unionists both in and outside the Labour Party and I hope there will be an honest and constructive discussion on the way forward.
Every day, thanks to New Labour policies the Labour Party's standing is going down the plughole. It's time to get out there, stop pussyfooting around and win back our Party from the careerists and self-aggrandisers who have been in charge for far too long. I have been feeling rather quiescent and low in spirits of late. Time to fight back.....
Posted by
susan press
at
12:44
Labels: Convention Of The Left, New labour policy, socialism
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I agree with yourself J/Mc and co on so many things, but on No Borders this is a policy too far, it has absolutely no support in the country and in many ways, is gesture politics of the worse kind. Of course, asylum seekers should be treated fairly and deportations extremely limited but a balanced immigration policy is both necessary and socially just to all.
I also notice the Convention of the Left has been partly 'captured' by the No Borders groups, etc, how will people who disagree with them be treated? It can be very uncomfortable expressing different views at such an event, I do wonder?
We need to take on the day to day issues, housing, poverty, the awful
uber-blairite welfare reforms, the NHS, etc, not sexy, but very very important
Post a Comment