Friday, 14 March 2008

TIME FOR TROOPS TO COME HOME

I can't make tomorrow's Stop The War march in London as I have been invited to the 50th birthday party of an old friend in Cambridge and will be meeting people I have not seen for nearly 30 years. Which is a pretty scary thought.... Attempts to turn back time and lose copious amounts of weight in the two weeks since I was invited ( well, the stone or so I've put on since 1980) have proved predictably fruitless but I daresay none of us will look the same as we did all those years ago.

It may be a place of undoubted privilege but in those days of universal grants student life was pretty radical stuff. I was a member of COLS - Cambridge Organisation of Labour Students - which had a fair smattering of Marxists, Militants and Fabians . In short, a broad church.
Even in those days, the Labour Party was not fashionable. But campaigns like Rock Against Racism and the Anti Nazi League certainly were and I was at the famous 1978 event in Victoria Park featuring Tom Robinson, The Jam et al. It's frightening to think how long ago it all was. We were also opposed to nuclear power at Windscale ( now Sellafiedl) and campaigned on issues like gay rights and women's right to walk the streets at night without sexual harassment. Long ago. Some - but not many - of those battles have been won.
I hope tomorrow's march goes well and would normally be there but I can't help thinking that with each march the numbers diminish and the publicity gets less. This week's announcement that the MoD is spending MORE despite the troop reductions only serves to emphasise the fact that it really is time to get the troops home from both Iraq and Afghanistan. With each day that passes, the terrible kiling goes on. We must continue to put pressure on the Government. Just not sure marches are the way to do that anymore.....but best of luck to all involved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Methinks you can't tell the difference between The Jam and The Clash. It was the latter who played in Victoria Park in 1978.

I just thought you'd like to know that.

susan press said...

Ah well, it was a loing time ago. Can't be expected to remeber everything

Miles Barter said...

You are right about marching.
As I write on my blog, yesterday had an end of season feel to it.