Monday, 17 March 2008

THE IDES OF MARCH....

Just back from Cambridge where the March weather was as bleak as I remember it - still my welcome was extremely warm and thanks to Nick and Lauren for a great weekend.
I wondered whether people I had not seen for 28 years would have bought into the consumer culture and changed ethical and political direction. But I was glad to note ( as I expected ) that was not the case. The people there were variously involved in everything from housing co-operatives, to promoting Fair Trade, working with the Woodcraft Folk, writing plays and anti-war campaigning. Yesterday's party also included a trapeze artist who taught circus skills.It was, you might say, very much like Hebden Bridge.

7 comments:

Jim Jepps said...

Glad you enjoyed Cambridge - I happen to live in the ASH coop in Cam... did your friends used to live here?

susan press said...

I have no idea.....but very probably!

Jim Jepps said...

Ah, this place clearly has a very good pedigree :)

Merseymike said...

Hate to ask, but I wonder how many of them voted for the LibDem who won Cambridge at the last election rather than Labour?

I think Labour have really damaged their vote amongst the progressive middle class (and there may not be a huge number of them but their turnout is vast!)

susan press said...

I didn't ask. You're quite possibly right.....

Nick Levine said...

Yup, we both lived in ASHCo-op once upon a time (as - for what it's worth - did a number of other party goers).

susan press said...

Small world, eh. BTW Cambridge so bloody cold have now got flu but thanks for party.......