Wednesday, 30 April 2008

EVE OF ELECTION MESSAGE FROM MY DAD

I have just got back from lunch in Manchester with my Dad and the good news is he will be voting Labour tomorrow. He has never voted anything else since 1945. At 87, he still lives in hope of a socialist Prime Minister so it's just as well his side of the family is renowned for its longevity.

The other good news is that unlike some people he has never lost faith in the working-class, in socialist values , or in the solidarity of the trade union movement. Which is why he's fully in support of the struggle of the Grangemouth workers, utterly opposed to New Labour and horrified by Ministers who come on the TV and lecture the low-paid about being grateful for low wages. It's from my dad I inherited what some might see as an obsession with Labour politics . One of my first memories is a Manchester rally in 1964 with Harold Wilson and we sat up together in 1970 to watch the General Election when I was 11. A strange child indeed.....
I sometimes get flak on this blog for being critical of this Government but when someone who has lived through the 1920's and 1930's tells me that they sound more and more like Tories then I'm afraid I bow to his greater wisdom. So let's all go out tomorrow and try and get our local Labour candidates elected. But let's also not forget that the reason many of them are in trouble is because they are being let down by those who wield the power in Westminster. And that we owe it to a genration who expected more from the Labour Party to carry on fighting for socialism.

2 comments:

Robert said...

I have been in Labour for 38 years sadly I've left this year, I will be voting Independent because my Labour councilor has become independent because like a lot of us we are sick of having a Labour government who do speak Tory. MY father was Labour until he died he left six months before he died , my great grandfather worked down a coal mine when he was 11 years of age he lied how old his was when his father my great grandfather died in a pit accident. he said to me he worked 14 hours a day for 2/6 a week thats about 30 pence now.

he was Labour right from his working days, I've had Labour rammed down my throat, but until Blair I had prayed in fact this was a blip, sadly in 1990 while working I had a massive accident and spent a year in hospital while they tried to save my life.

I now have lost the use of my legs and most of the use of my arms, ye have been told I must return to work, although I searched for a job for four years to date I've not had one single offer.

By my benefits will now drop from £87 a week to £57 a week, thats is shocking that this government are hitting the poorest to give the rich a better life.

Anonymous said...

Susan, how about trying your hand in Crewe and Nantwich? I'm sure you'd be in with a shout! Deadline's tomorrow though...
Best,
J