Thursday, 17 April 2008

IT'S NOT THE BLOODY X FACTOR- IT'S THE ISSUES

Idly trawling the internet to come across Political Betting's "runners and riders " for the next Labour Leader. It may surprise you to learn that the giants of the political stage on the list include Frank Field and Tessa Jowell. They even include Ken Livingstone and he's not, er, an MP. As things stand, under the present debacle of a system, this is the reality. We're likely to end up with another right-winger, another New Labourite, another nightmare from which this time the Party will not be able to recover. And talk of the next Leader is a distraction anyway. There could still be time to turn to turn things round. No, I'm not optimistic. But if the PLP used issues like the continuing nightmare in Iraq and the end of the 10p band, which is causing outrage on the doorstep, to bring Brown to heel If the soft left put its money where its mouth is and started working with the left, there could be a tranche of 100 MPs who WOULD make a difference. Andy Burnham? James Purnell? They are but minions and slaves to an orthodoxy which has all but detstroyed the Labour Party. Let's not put another nail in the coffin.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, too right, we're getting towards the end of the line now, unless something's done. I was asked to renew my membership today; sent them an email saying I wouldn't until something was done about the 10p tax...Got a pathetic pre-made reply back - they've obviously been getting plenty of complaints. I was not impressed.

Geraint said...

The shift to the right is the least of Labour's problems I feel, the Anon 16:49 has also pointed out another problem, which is that the party is still no listerning to it's members, nor voters in general, it is out of touch at every.

Gordon Brown is dithering too much, and he hasn't got a charasmatic personality either, if he didn't dither, I think we would be doing slightly better in the polls (though not a lead, we'd need new policies for that), then there is the in-fighting and arguements from within the Labour Party, its pathetic the way the New "Labour" Blairites and New "Labour" Brownites are acting, and shows they dont care about what happends with the party.