This might astonish Gordon Brown but there are many reasons why the 10pence tax rate cut is causing such a furore. One is that, in the real world, not everyone lives in a "hard-working family" to use the horrid New Labour speak. Some of us, Gordon, work very hard indeed but we are single-income taxpayers already struggling on low incomes and frankly clobbering us and taking our money away - while failing to tax the rich at the appropriate level - just isn't a popular move.
Were I in a double-income situation, even so I would have to claim tax credits to make up the shortfall . Not good enough. Accoreding to the Institure of Fiscal Studies, three million of the five million families losing out because of this shameful measure will NOT qualify for these.
In any event, this means-tested system is no substitute for a fair, progressive , socialist taxation system which would end the obscenity of billions of pounds being lost every year via tax avoidance.
But perhaps the biggest reason of all why this policy is outraging so many people is that it epitomises the utter betrayal of traditional Labour Party values of social justice and fairness.
The fact Gordon Brown could not see that says it all about how far he has travelled from the days when James Maxton was his hero. Frankly, he is living on another planet from the rest of us.

6 comments:
Susan, I reckon when Brown gets back a purge will be on the cards,
I am furious with the removal of the 10p band. I am aged 60 and will be hit hard on my income of 90% state retired pension (other contribution years at married woman's rate of insurance) and small works pension. What makes me even more angry is the PM implying that I do not know how to calculate my increased taxation and further, implying that the winter fuel allowance will make up for the deficit. My husband is aged 61, retired and will also pay additional tax.
I loathe the term hard working families. It insults and discriminates against those of us who have never had children and those who live alone.
I am coming to terms with the fact that a Labour Government introduced such a policy. I bombarded Ministers last year when it was announced but to no avail. I am angry with Labour MPs who did not oppose the measure at the time and angry with the PM who reportedly stated at the last PLP meeting how wonderful he was to reduce the 22% tax band which the Tories had been unable to do. This PM is out of touch with reality. He seems to focus on "politics" and outmanoevring the Tories. In the meantime, I am struggling to meet higher taxation, council tax, food and energy bills. Funny that after working all my life and preparing as best I could for retirement I face this unfair tax policy. The PM should hang his head in shame.
Regards Jane
An incredible own goal, especially as it was New Labour that brought the 10p rate in.
Anonymous. if that's a threat on what basis? If you start "purging" people from the Labour Party because they defend a measure which was New Labour policy then we are all in trouble. Most of this Party is beginning to recognise Gordon brown is a disaster as Leader. Some of us knew that a few years ago.Which is why we support the LRC.
I will NEVER vote Labour again, simple as that
Families, families, bloody families. Its just a mantra to hold on to the Daily mail voters. Stuff the many single people who are far more likely to vote Labour!
Post a Comment