Today's Guardian has an interesting piece by Jackie Ashley http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/apr/21/gordonbrown.economy
which raises the issue of a possible leadership election in the event of Brown being defeated over the 10 pence tax issue. Not, at time of writing, an impossibility.
Amazingly, the Labour Left actually gets a mention as a result of a TV interview Ashley has done with John McDonnell, who she quotes as saying, "We are very close to the edge.I would like a leadership election now ... We should have the leadership election we never had. Let's ask Gordon Brown, what do you really stand for? Let the Blairites put up their candidate ... Let's have a contest now and clear the air."
Ashley, of course, says this view is not the way forward. She fears a new Leader "to the right" of Brown would be elected and that, however awful the policies ( and she agrees they are) the usual calls to party discipline and unity around Brown is the only way to go. I do not agree.
Frankly, " to the right of Brown" is not a possibility within the Labour Party. Hutton wouldn't stand a chance and neither would Purnell. Trade unions lining up behind them ?
Don't think so.
The mood music around Brown has now got so bad that a leadership election - the one we should have had - would be a positive. It would break the stranglehold New Labour has had over this Party. Just think about it.
Candidates from all wings of the Party, a proper honest debate to cheer the hearts of demoralised and disillusioned members fed-up with New Labour, fed-up with never having a say on policy, fed-up with..... being fed-up. Will it happen? Probably not. But I live in hope.....
Monday, 21 April 2008
JOHN4LEADER 2008
Posted by
susan press
at
12:17
Labels: Gordon brown, Labour leadership
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I don't particularly want John as the left candidate, but at the end of the day, it's policies that count, and I'd back him all the way. I think this tax thing has made people sit up and realise just how morally bankrupt New Labour is - there's only so many times you can use the 'at least we're better than the Tories' defence. And given that the BBC's cover story is Cameron pledging to fight for the poor, I truly hope this is the end of the line for New Labour. If only there were a more unifying, charismatic centre-left candidate available - I'm sure they would be able to win at the moment. But that said, I wouldn't put it past McDonnell...
Jon Cruddas would be a realistic candidate for leader this time.
I think the term "centre-left" has become fairly meaningless. A lot of people who describe themselves as such have lined up with the leadership time after time. That includes "lefts" like Jon Cruddas and Jon Trickett. We don't need charisma, we need decent policies that will restore people's faith in the Labour Party. The sad thing is there are thousands in the Party committed to socialist values. Being let down by a leadership way past its sell-by date
I support John M, but don't believe the tories when they say they want to 'help the poor' They have said they want to stop welfare benefits completely after 2 yrs, like the US system, their version of welfare would be food stamps and sermons...
Of course, I wasn't for a minute suggesting the tories would be better for the poor, but when it becomes feasible for the press to present it as such, well, you know Labour's gone badly wrong.
"Frankly, 'to the right of Brown' is not a possibility within the Labour Party."
Let's wait and see.
At the moment, it's difficult to see anything other than Brown limping on until 2010 then taking a pasting.
Who says John McD hasn't got charisma anyhow? Personally i think he has quite a strong personality that comes across well when you actually get to hear him!
John McD won't get on the ballot paper.....
again
Just love the anonymous comments......wouldn't it be better if they had an iota of courage
Susan, it is often quite difficult to fill in the form to identify yourself, so it is easier to just put anaon, the software is messed up and needs looking at.
Fair enough, but can't you just click on name /URL??????
Policies AND charisma would be good.
Post a Comment