Monday, 21 April 2008

THE "FLEXIBLE" WORKFORCE

The above is a phrase dear to Gordon Brown's heart. And Ministers who never have to face the harsh reality of casualised working. This is how it is.
Having been a freelance journalist for 17 years, I'm kind of used to work coming and going. But even the most Gradgrindian of newspapers and magazines tend to look after their respected reliables.
So something of un unpleasant shock today to find six months' hard work at a local university rewarded with the promise of.......nothing. Today started badly as I got the wrong bus ( again) and ended up riding round the badlands of West Yorkshire for two hours before I got to work.
I planned to have a chat with the Head of Department. And I did. The result? There may,or may not be, work in September. No promises, no guarantees.So, basically, it's a non-starter as a realistic option of remuneration. It wasn't always like this.
Many years ago, I was a part-time FE lecturer for ILEA (Inner London Education Authority) and in those days there was some kind of continuity when it came to courses. And income. I suppose in my naivete I had expected something similar. Not so.
So, as I made the journey back on another two bloody buses, I decided I will not be hanging around in the hope of scraps from the academic table come the autumn. Do I feel angry and undervalued ? Yes.
And having had my little rant I will therefore be attending the rally being held at Hebden Bridge Trades Club on Thursday April 24 jointly organised by PCS, NUT, and UCU. The good thing I suppose is that it has been a learning curve and I now understand why part-time university lecturers feel hard done by. And are taking action........

2 comments:

Merseymike said...

Susan - I have been in the same position for more years than I care to remember.
Haven't a clue as to what I will be doing come September although I have sorted out some online tutoring work.

However - I'm afraid that the unions are worse than useless on this one. They are so concerned to protect full timers jobs that they do very little for part time and temporary staff.

JS.Ray said...

one way street is this flexibility, as I discovered the last time I signed up to a temp agency, who informed me that whilst the employer could terminate my position at any time, any premature departure on my part would most likely lead to me being struck off the agency's list. Such things apparently being increasingly common...