Thursday, 10 April 2008

JOHN 4 DEPUTY GENERAL SECRETARY

I have just been canvassed as to who I will be voting for as NUJ Deputy General Secretary. So let me tell you why I will be voting for John Toner.

Some years ago, a friend of mine was too timid to approach employers who owed her several thousand pounds. I suggested she rang John Toner who is Freelance Organiser. In a matter of a week or so, she got her money. When I was a freelance member of the Chapel at the Manchester Evening News, John worked tirelessly to help both staffers and freelances. He's been a member ofthe NUJ for 27 years, is a former President and a man of the utmost decency and integrity with a welatth of experience.
I have nothing against Michelle Stanistreet and think she's done a great job as NUJ President but what more than slightly annoys me is that this is being spun as a left and right contest. It is patently not and it's frankly absurd to suggest John Toner is the "right" candidate. His supporters include the excellent Granville Williams, of the Campaign For Press And Broadcasting Freedom, Heather Brooke, who campaigns over Freedom of Information, my former Freelance Indisutrial Council colleagues Joyce McMillan, Phil Sutcliffe and Kevin Cooper ( socialists all) plus friends inside and outside the Labour Party in Manchester who also have John to thank for helping them out when he was Northern Organiser. Here's the website http://www.votejohntoner.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I'm resuscitating an old post, but I've just found this after checking in to John Toner's campaign site. And wanted to say, I couldn't agree more with the irritation over John being portrayed as the 'right' candidate. Like Susan, I've got a huge amount of time for Michelle Stanistreet, but I just feel John has broader experience and we need a broader spread at the top of the union.
Part of the problem with modern politics is that people too often look at who else is supporting someone rather than what the someone stands for. I've had my differences with John, and I've certainly had my differences with some of his supporters - I'm distinctly uncomfortable with being alongside Jake Ecclestone for example, and I'm sure he'd say the same about me – but who can honestly say they've voted for someone they've 100% agreed with, let alone that they've agreed 100% with 100% of that candidate's supporters.
The NUJ is lucky to have such quality candidates standing for DGS, it's not so long ago we were in a right mess.
Martin Cloake

Anonymous said...

So - WHO has described John Toner as 'the "right" candidate'?

It's just that I'd like to make sure I'm indoors if they're out driving.

One of the many reasons I'm backing John is that, more than anyone else I know, he can offer intelligent and practical thoughts on what "left" means nowadays - with relevant and illuminating references both to A Light Shining in Buckinghamshire (1648) and to the Milton Keynes Citizen strike (2008).